Work with DACA SSN after expiry of work permit

Because many DREAMers will see their EAD expire starting in March 2018, they have been asking me if they continue to work using their Social Security numbers or not even tell their employers that their employment authorization document has expired.

If you look at your SS card, you will notice that it says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization."  While employers try to do what they can to make sure that their employees have the right documentation to work in the United States, unless they engage in well organized fraud to employ illegal immigrants, there are generally no penalties for them.

On the other hand, it is absolutely important for a worker that they work in the US only with proper authorization.  If they are working without papers, they are breaking US law and can be punished.  Indeed, millions of illegal aliens are currently working illegally in the country, but that does not mean that it is legal and there are no consequences.

Just because your employer is careless and fails to fire you after your EAD expires, it does not mean that you can continue to work.  Eventually, it will be found that you working without authorization and that will not make you come across as a honest worker.  Most companies will fire you on the spot; I would not be surprised that some of them will get their lawyers involved.  It is likely that a report is also provided to the authorities.  Considering that US authorities already have all your information, it should be fairly easy to find and charge you with multiple crimes.

It appears that your best course of action -- while illegal under American laws -- is to get a fake SSN or simply work under the table.

Popular posts from this blog

Can DACA approved DREAMers go on cruises?

Completed sample Form I-765WS

Can EAD card be used as ID?