Foreign visa for DACA approved DREAMers with advanced parole

Visiting your native country with advanced parole is a pretty routine affair and dozens of DACA approved DREAMers have been able to leave and reenter the United States without any problem.  However, many of you are being asked to take business trips to other countries (some of you are also taking personal trips to foreign countries because your family is there) and some of them require you to first obtain a visa.  So the question I get asked a lot is if you can get a visa to another country using just your AP documents.

Visas to other countries in the USA are typically issued only to legal residents:  It is important to understand that most countries insist that you apply for a visa from your native country unless you can prove that you live legally in the United States.  Some countries are slightly more liberal in the sense that if you entered the United States legally and still have valid legal status, they may accept and approve your application, but denials are quite common as well.  For instance, visas to Canada and Mexico are easier if you are already in the US because it can be construed that you decided to travel to these countries only after your arrival to the US as a visitor (a more difficult case to make if you want to apply for a visa to Australia).

AP document is Unfortunately, despite the fact that DACA approved DREAMers are still illegally in the United States, having an advanced parole document is enough evidence that you will be able to enter the country legally.  Accordingly, most countries will recognize an advanced parole document as proof of being legally in the US and will honor it for visa purposes even if it is not explicitly listed on their website (the reason being that the number of aliens without legal status in the US who are allowed to travel on an AP is extremely small and includes people with asylum cases or special cases like DACA -- people who are going through an adjustments of status or AOS have legal status even though they may no longer have a valid visa in their passports).  So if you wish, you can contact the embassy to clarify (most embassies rarely respond to phone calls or emails, though) but go ahead and apply anyway (make sure you attach evidence of your ties to the US in form of a letter from your employer, paystubs, bank account statements, etc.), unless the website clearly states that aliens with AP are ineligible.  And finally, remember that a visa is a privilege and not a right.  Even if you think you are eligible and have submitted all documents, a country can deny a visa without assigning any reason, and in case you did not know this, your visa application fee will not be refunded.

Popular posts from this blog

Can DACA approved DREAMers go on cruises?

Completed sample Form I-765WS

Can EAD card be used as ID?