Is it possible to switch DACA to other visas?

Several DACA approved DREAMers have been asking me if they can change their status to F1 or H1B to legalize their status.  Indeed, it is true that the United States immigration laws allow change of status from one visa category to another in limited number of cases (the guiding principle being your intention -- for example, if you applied for a tourist visa and then want to switch it to a job, USCIS is not amused and may insist that you first leave the country), this provision does not apply for deferred action for childhood arrivals.  Why?  DACA grants no legal status in the US and is not a visa.  It is merely a temporary hold on deportations for two years.

Popular posts from this blog

Can DACA approved DREAMers go on cruises?

Completed sample Form I-765WS

Can EAD card be used as ID?