Blue Card for DREAMers working on farms

There is less talk of DREAMers (an immigrant brought to the United States before 16th birthday) who are farmworkers because they are not out there telling passionate stories of going to college or joining the Military, but it is estimated that at least 40% of DREAMers work on farms.  The great news in the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 (BSEOIM) is that DREAMers who work on farms but are not eligible to apply as regular DREAMers maybe able to apply as farm workers, and thus, get the so-called Blue Card valid for 8 years, after which if you have worked on a farm for just 100 days each year, you get the green card.  It gets better: after just two years of having the green card, you get to apply for naturalization as a US citizen.


Am I eligible for the Blue Card?  Have you done agriculture work in the US for a minimum of 575 hours or 100 work days (a day is 5.75 hours of work) in at least 2011 and 2012 (if you have more than that, even better)?  That is not a lot of time, some of you who worked on a farm part time maybe eligible to meet this requirement.  Remember, felonies are not acceptable, and since three misdemeanors are allowed, even DUI is fine.  Also, because of a loophole, Congress does not care if you paid income taxes to IRS or not.

How to file a Blue Card application?  You will need the usual documentation, but the most important piece of evidence will be about the time that you have spent working on a farm.  If you do not have enough hours, like the Reagan Amnesty when many farmers were selling fake documents, it will happen again, so discuss this with your attorney.  Apparently, Congress does not seem to care about this because there will be no interviews to confirm if you actually worked on a farm or not.