Skip to main content

Tax responsibilities of DACA approved DREAMers

The United States law is very clear.  If you have income from any source within the United States, it is your responsibility to figure out if you need to file taxes with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and if you owe anything to Uncle Sam, you pay it.  These laws apply to everyone any where in the world.  You don't need to live (legally or illegally) in the United States of America or even visit (actually it is better not to visit if your tax situation is not clear because you will be arrested at the airport and forced to pay taxes due); the taxes have to paid.  So, for instance, you could have US income from investments in the United States and will then owe taxes.

Tax liability of illegal immigrants:  Let us talk about undocumented aliens living and working in USA.  While it maybe illegal to live and get employment in the country without authorization, you still MUST report your income to the IRS, file taxes, and pay the dues.  Interestingly enough, despite you providing the solid evidence of breaking the law by living and working in the US, the IRS will not report you to ICE.  Actually, by filing taxes, in some ways you are digging a hole for yourself because you are indirectly admitting to working illegally, but your crime will be even serious if you did not file taxes.  In other words, if you are working here legally or illegally, file and pay your taxes.

Using identification number to file taxes:  Typically, a smart illegal immigrant will get an ITIN to file taxes, but most aliens either steal an identity or make up a SSN and file their taxes.  Some even manage to get refunds.  DREAMers who have been approved to work and have a valid Social Security number MUST use only this number to file their taxes.  If they had an ITIN it must be switched to the real SSN.  If a DREAMer was working with a fake SS# it should be abandoned immediately and going forward only the actual number should be used.

Filing and record keeping:  Since taxes can be complex -- though tax software like TurboTax make it easy -- it is best to consult with an accountant.  You maybe able to increase your refund because the tax professionals know if you are entitled to more deductions.  And finally, always keep a copy of your tax files by year in a safe location.  While citizens and legal residents are required to preserve their records for seven years, as an immigrant you must preserve your file till the date you take the oath at a naturalization ceremony.