Skip to main content

Honestly telling USCIS about working with false papers

For those applicants for a work permit who have worked or are currently working with a fake social security number, the consensus legal advice is to either admit that you broke the law and provide the information accurately (it is not clear how USCIS will adjudicate these cases and admitting guilt in this case means that there can be consequences because of identity theft laws that treat this as a felony) or wait for further guidance from the USCIS.  It seems that legal experts are in agreement that no one should lie about it.

Larry, one of my readers, is taking the risk of truthfully telling the USCIS what he has done and hoping that his honesty will be rewarded.  He writes, "I initially hired a paralegal to do my Deferred Action process paperwork, but he insisted on putting my false Social Security Number I've been using to work. I told him it could be a bad idea but he said that it's recommended to not lie to the USCIS and write down the fake number I used (I have been hearing on television as well that it's not recommended to show my false number and tax documents). To clear up this confusion, I personally made an appointment with an Immigration Attorney and asked him about Question #9.  I asked him if I should write down the false number I used for work on this application.  His answer was the right one, I guess.  He said that this question is only to those who received a valid umber from the Social Security Office.  USCIS will confirm all the data provided in the application with the Social Security Administration.   So, in my case, he told me not to leave it blank and also include a copy of the income tax return that shows my false number. He said this is the correct place to prove that I need a valid SSN to work and I'm not lying."

I am publishing this piece of information just to get it out there.  It does not mean that it is the best legal advice and you should follow it.  The best path forward for anyone in a similar situation is to think it for themselves, do more research on their own, seek legal advice, and then make up their minds.