Skip to main content

Steps after work permit and deferred action

Once DREAMers get a work permit, the fight is not over.  It seems that illegal immigration is a political sensitive topic, particularly in a presidential election year.  It is clear that Democrats sympathize somewhat with undocumented individuals while Republicans would like to maintain the status quo (apparently they like the illegals because of access to cheap labor for farmers and job creators, two major group of conservatives) in that they do not want them to be deported but do not want to give them any status at all.  We are already hearing that Arizona, Nevada, and Texas may not provide many benefits that President Barack Obama envisioned when he issued an executive order for deferred action for childhood arrivals.

So what is guaranteed after you are approved?
  1. A social security number that authorizes you to work for the duration of the work permit, which will initially be for two years, and will be renewable, particularly if Obama wins reelection.  It seems very likely that Mitt Romney will either cancel the Obama executive order (all it takes for him is to sign it, and no other people need be consulted) or if he does not want to annoy the Hispanics, he may simply let it lapse after two years by not renewing it.
  2. Right to work anywhere in the United States.
  3. While it is something not recommended and should only be undertaken under extreme circumstances, opportunity to travel overseas after getting advanced parole from the USCIS.
What is not guaranteed after the approval?
  1. Driver's licenses.  Each state has its own set of rules and you will need to consider if moving to a friendlier state is an option, particularly if driving is a must for you.  If you do not plan to drive, the EAD card can be used to prove that you are somewhat "legal" in the country (even though no legal status is conferred on you); it is enough to get ICE off your back and even the police will honor it.
  2. Recognition by state agencies as a proof of your residence in the state.  This may make it harder to register cars and to get access to other state services.