Skip to main content

How to get a fee waiver for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals work permit?

The fee to apply for an employment authorization document under the deferred action for childhood arrivals process is a whopping $465.  In case you wish to travel after the approval plan on paying an additional $360.  It is fair to say that putting together the documents, photocopying, shipping, etc. will raise the total cost.  If you are going to use an attorney to do the EAD paperwork, that can add up to hundreds of dollars as well.  You will also need to drive to USCIS offices once or twice and that means you will need transportation.  Do not be surprised that when you show up in a large city like Boston or San Francisco, even parking can easily cost you $40.

My recommendation is that tap into your savings, borrow from a friend, or do what it takes, but try to come up with the money.  Yeah, it is a a lot of money, but you are going to get a work permit and your life will be so much easier.

What if you simply don't have the money?  The USCIS will grant exemptions if you demonstrate that you are simply too poor.  Doing that is not going to be easy because you will either need to be homeless, or clearly prove through documents that you do not have the money. If that is the case, it is better to do the paperwork because the USCIS will first need to approve your application to file for free and only then you will be able to file Form I-821 D.  This simply means that you will face massive delays.