Skip to main content

Can I get a work permit if I do not have the documents?

If you have seen the list of eligibility requirements to get the work permit for deferred action under childhood arrivals process, it is complicated.  Most people did not expect that some day the US president will give an order like this and that would require documentation to prove entry into the country or presence for a certain period of time and such other qualifications.  That is why most of you might not have anything more than a birth certificate or passport in addition to documents about school attendance and such.

USCIS is being very generous in allowing a wide range of documents to prove that you meet the requirements and in certain cases an affidavit might suffice but there are exceptions to that as well.  For example, in the following cases, an affidavit will simply not cut it:
  1. You are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran from the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
  2. You were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012;
  3. You came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  4. You were under the age of 31 on June 15, 2012; and
  5. Your criminal history, if applicable.
So what can you do?  It seems that you are out of luck.  Your chance of taking advantage of this provision is gone, though, I would recommend that you consult with an attorney to see if something can be done.