Skip to main content

Will I be able to travel overseas after getting work permit?

Good news for the beneficiaries of work permits under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) process: once your case is approved and the work permit granted (meaning action deferred for two years on your case), you will be able to travel overseas.  What is very important for you to remember is to apply and receive the so-called advance parole beforehand from the USCIS.  Regarding travel, it is important to remember that you may still not be able to travel for leisure (vacations, visiting family members, etc.).  Permission for travel will only be granted if it is a business trip (in case your employer wants you to travel) or for education purposes (students traveling as part of their education) or for humanitarian reasons (think death of family members).

Do not travel while your application is pending either for the work permit or for advance parole.  You also cannot apply for advanced parole together with your DACA application Form I-821D (other applicants for work permits are typically allowed to do so).  You will first need to be approved for deferred action and only then will you be able to apply for reentry into the United States.

If you are not familiar with the advance parole application system, briefly, you will complete USCIS form I-131, submit a fee of $360, and then just wait for the approval documents to arrive in the mail.  While there will not be a stamp in your passport, with these documents you will be able to board a plane headed for the United States by showing them at the check-in counter and to the immigration agents at the point of departure.  You will also show these documents to a US Border Patrol agent upon entry at the airport or on land.